Tuesday, August 07, 2007

Welcome to Crime.wav

I've blogged in a variety of settings prior to now, and I've enjoyed it. But I haven't found a blog "home" and so I decided to set up here. My prior shortcoming in the past, in terms of maintaining a blog, also likely came down to the matter of being too generalist. So, this time, I intend to stick to my area of expertise. I'm trained as a sociologist-- specifically in social psychology, deviance, and criminology. I very much enjoy studing about crime and, in particular, the extreme variants of criminality. Trying to explain human behavior is always a challenge because of the extent of variability, but trying to explain human behavior at the extremes is that much more difficult. For most of us, we just have no frame of reference by which to make sense of such behavior.

Years ago, I used to host a radio talk show at Indiana University. It aired at midnight and provided a forum in which I would talk about current cases and criminality more generally. This forum is designed to serve the same purpose, but in blog form (though I may start adding podcasts). I'd like to send a thank you out to Jeremy Freese for suggesting the name of the show, which is even better-suited to today's digital landscape. I'd also give a kudos to his blogosphere, which inspired me to restart my own.

And, so, until tomorrow!

No comments: